Monday 21 May 2012

Glowworm Micron 50FF Lights Flashing

Was asked to look at a Glowworm Micron 50FF because the lights were flashing and the heating was not working. Upon arrival I could hear a slight hum from the boiler which felt warm, but not as noisy as usual when running. Both the burner light and the reset light were flashing as this boiler had the latest board fitted which displays fault diagnostics through the green LEDs as opposed to the original PCB with orange LEDs.

I had a look at my chart to diagnose the fault.
The reset LED was flashing fast, and the burner light flashing slow which tells me it is related to the fan or APS (air pressure switch). From the slight hum I could hear I had already assumed that the fan was seized. Removing the case I could smell the motor where it had been trying to rotate the fan, and there was some scorching to the motor windings. The fan motor was also red hot. Fortunately I isolated the power whilst I went to pick up a replacement fan which helped it to cool down.

I replaced the fan, and is running well.


Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment