Tuesday 22 May 2012

Broag Remeha Avanta Plus 39C Combi E4 Error

Was called by a customer today to look at a Broag Remeha Avanta Plus 39C combination boiler which was not working and displaying the code E4. The error code E4 is when there are more than 5 start attempts without any flame formation.

Earlier in the week the customer was able to reset the boiler and it would work fine again for a while. I checked the electrode initially which I had replaced on a previous visit with the updated electrode. The gap was fine and there wasn't a lot of accumulation on the tip. I reset the boiler and plugged my laptop in which has there software enabling me to communicate with the boiler. From this I can see the previous lockouts, their codes and the boiler's status when the occurred. I can also see live readouts of the boilers statistics such as flow and return temperatures, ionisation and whether the gas valve and other mechanical parts are open or closed.

The boiler fired up to pre-heat some hot water and it took three ignition attempts to light. I set the boiler to it's high rate and checked the ionisation at the electrode which was close to 9, and on it's low rate around 6 which is more or less the correct reading.

Using my flue gas analyser (fga) I checked the combustion readings at both the high and low rate. At both rates the CO2 reading was at 9.3% which is above what it should be set to. I adjusted the gas valve to the correct readings. Following this adjustment the boiler was igniting on the first attempt.

From my experience the E4 code can also be caused by the gas valve failing to open, the ignition transformer not working and most commonly the earlier ignition electrodes bending out of shape. There are other reasons for the E4 code appearing such as the gas being turned off, incorrect gas pressure, air in the gas supply, flue faults and faulty seals in the boiler (combustion door seal, burner seal or flue connection seal).


Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment