Friday 26 October 2012

Ideal Classic Clicking Noise

My boss was called to look at an Ideal Classic boiler because the customer was complaining that it would regularly make a clicking noise for an extended period of time whilst the boiler was running. He visited but could hear no noise, although the customer said it had been making the noise all afternoon. He left them to monitor the situation.

They soon called him back because it was still 'clicking' more or less constantly. Once again the boiler was working perfectly upon his arrival. He assumed that it may have been one of the gas valve solenoids breaking down and causing the boiler to constantly re-light. He changed the gas valve and left with the boiler working perfectly.

Being on call the following week the customer called me out because the boiler was still 'clicking' and the problem had not been solved. Once again, I arrive to find a boiler working perfectly that had been 'clicking' all morning. Using my experience I looked at the PCB as I recall having the same problem before. I could see that there was some blackening to the relays on the PCB. When the relays become blackened I think it is more difficult for them to maintain contact and do their required task. I replaced the PCB and left the boiler working. I had to re-visit the customer a week later for an unrelated issue and he said the boiler had been working silently since my visit.

Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment