Thursday 25 October 2012

Baxi Solo 3 No Heating

As always when it turns cold I get numerous calls to look at heating systems because the central heating is not coming on and the homeowner has no idea why. The lady in question had turned everything off because in the morning when the heating was supposed to come on she was disturbed by a loud clanging noise coming from the airing cupboard.

As I usually do I began by ensuring that the hot water was working correctly and set the hot water to come on. The pump kicked in and sounded as if it was working fine, I went to the garage to check on the Baxi Solo 3 which was lit and running. I returned to the airing cupboard and could feel that the hot water was circulating with no issues.

I then turned the hot water off and set the heating to be on, as I returned to the airing cupboard the clanging began. The motorised valve installed was a Tower valve with a red plastic body which in my experience are not the best valves. As it was trying switch over to heating the mechanism was slipping. It would open so far before the tension of the spring got too much and clanged the valve back to hot water. I drained the system and replaced the three-port valve leaving another happy customer.

Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment