Monday 29 October 2012

Glowworm Ultimate No Heating or Hot Water

After returning from a holiday abroad to the cold of this country one of my customers had to call me out because they had no heating or hot water. The first thing I did was look at their Glowworm Ultimate boiler because they said that they could not see the pilot light. I removed the bottom tray and could see from the gas valve that there was no permanent pilot and that being the fan-flued Glowworm Ultimate had automatic ignition (the pilot lights itself as and when the boiler needs to fire up).

It was at this point that I noticed that the overheat button on the controls fascia was sitting out. I pushed on the button and sure enough it clicked as I reset it. As soon as I reset the overheat button the boiler came to life and fired up. I hung around at the boiler for a moment to ensure that the system was circulating and not likely to overheat immediately. The boiler was running fairly quietly so went to check around the rest of the system.

I told the customer that it may have been caused by a bit of air or if there was a power cut whilst the boiler was running. He replied by saying that he had been having unrelated issues just before he went on holiday. He had asked a friend of the family to replace the immersion heater which turned out to be faulty and kept tripping the electrics until it was replaced with another unit. The plumber had also broken a part on the heating system and ended up draining and refilling the system to replace it and the pump. Like I had already said the boiler overheating was either due to cutting out of the electrics or air in the system. After resetting the boiler the system is working as it should be again.

Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

2 comments:

  1. Valuable information. Lucky me I found your website by accident, and I am shocked why this accident did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

    hot water heater price

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good information regarding glowworm boiler.

    Nice post dude and keep it up with this.

    I like your background image. Nice heating concept.

    ReplyDelete