Thursday 7 June 2012

Radiator Tail Leaking

I was left a message on my answerphone overnight due to a leaking radiator connection which by the morning had slowed. The lady had wrapped a kitchen towel around the connection which was quite damp. The radiator had been replaced at some point but was not quite as wide as the original radiator. Because of this the engineer had used an extendable radiator tail and this is where the leak was coming from. Where the tail extends on an o-ring I was able to flex the joint a little which caused water to seep out. I also noticed that the door was unable to open fully because it hit the radiator valve. I guess that the door had hit the valve causing the joint to move causing the leak.

I turned off the radiator valves, drained the radiator and removed it from the wall. I then removed the extendable radiator tail from the radiator using an 8mm allen key. In my vaan I had an old radiator union tail to fit the existing valve and a solid 20mm radiator tail extension. I fitted both of these and reinstated the radiator. Hopefully, being a more solid joint will prevent leaks even if the door does contact the radiator valve.


Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment