Monday 6 August 2012

Ideal W2000 No Heating or Hot Water

I got called out at the weekend to look at an Ideal W2000 which was not working for either heating or hot water. The customer said he could hear the pump running when the hot water was set to be on but the boiler was not firing. He turned the hot water off and turned the heating on and again could hear the pump running but the boiler still was not lighting. The customer also reported that the pilot light was still lit.

Before I arrived I already had a good idea of what the problem could be. Firstly I checked that the 'kettle plug' electrical connection was fully in the control box connection. I removed the control box cover and checked for power on the switched live which there was. There was also power coming through the boiler thermostat and supplying power to the gas valve solenoid.

Sometimes the pilot lights can click out on the gas valve, but the pilot stay lit. I turned out the pilot light and relit it but this did not solve the problem. It left two options which was the gas valve or its solenoid. I had a replacement solenoid and so I replaced the solenoid. This solved the problem and the boiler was working well again.


Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment