Tuesday 7 August 2012

Glowworm Ultimate Buzzing with Boilermate 2000

We were asked to check out a heating system and service a Glow-worm Ultimate boiler. As I removed the case I got a whiff of gas, and decided to carry out a soundness test. There was a drop on the test and I turned off the isolator at the boiler and re-tested which was successful. I replaced the gas valve and carried out the service.

A couple of days later I was called back because the hot water had gone cold, and the boiler had been making a buzzing noise the previous night. When I visited there was plenty of hot water and there was no sign of any problems with the boiler.

About a week later a colleague of mine was called out because the boiler was buzzing again, and so decided to replace the PCB.

Another week later and the boiler was buzzing again. I ran the boiler and again it was running as it should be. The boiler was connected to a Boilermate 2000 thermal store which controls whether the boiler was on or off and so I decided to look closer at the cylinder. There a couple of switches you can press to display information about the thermal store and when I pressed these there was no change in the display. I also tested the operation of the heating and hot water. Strangely the cylinder would call for heat from the boiler and the boiler would run for a while heating the store. When the cylinder was satisfied the boiler would go off  but the pump would continue running indefinitely. The hot water circulation pump also seemed to be running extensively. When running the central heating the central heating pump seemed to be stopping and starting as it should.

I removed the circuit board from the Boilermate 2000 and could see on the rear that there was a number of dry joints. I replaced the Appliance Control Board (PCB) XB255 on the Boilermate 2000 and all has been working well since.


Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment