Wednesday 18 April 2012

Potterton Flamingo no heating or hot water

So my brother sends me a text message: "Are you available in an afternoon some time to look at our heating? Pilot light is on but the boiler is not kicking in."

I go round and the pilot is lit. I switch the timer on for heating and hot water, and the boiler lights. I put my hand on the pump and I cannot feel it vibrating. I check to make sure there is power to the pump live, which there is. I switch the pump valves off, and attempt to undo the pump nuts but they won't budge. I try penetrating oil, bigger tools and a little chisel to get them moving but after 30 years they are seized on. I loosen the four allen bolts securing the pump head to the housing and separate them gently to ensure the valves have switched off stopping the water fully. A cups worth of water comes out but no more thankfully. I remove the pump head and use a junior hacksaw to cut a slice in the pump nuts. Inserting suitably sized screwdriver into the new slit I tap it with a hammer to split the brass nut. I hit it in the direction to undo the nut and it starts to come loose so I can put my grips on them and remove the pump body. Now the nuts are no good, but fortunately I have saved some nuts off of pump valves in the past, they are manufactured with cut outs, allowing me to slip them onto the old pump valves. I can now fit the new pump and washers, and successfully heat test the system.


Disclaimer:
The works described in this blog are a record of work undertaken and should not be taken as guaranteed to solve your problem.

Work should only be carried out by persons qualified and competent to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment